I’ve won something!
This hasn’t happened since I got a call to pick up twenty-four overspiced frozen burgers five years ago.
The idea behind the Sisterhood of the World Bloggers Award is to recognize the unique voices of women bloggers around the world.
I’ve been nominated by another Jillian, who’s also in the Pacific Northwest. She writes a quirky, fun blog called How to Be Myself (http://howtobemyself.com) that covers organization, home improvement and fitness.
The section “My 35 Project” covers people’s commitment to completing 35 things they want to accomplish before they turn 35.
(Um, I guess I’ll have bit more to do!) Thanks, Other Jillian!
Here are the rules of the award, should any of my nominees choose to accept:
Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to their site. Answer the ten questions sent to you. Make up ten new questions for your nominees to answer. Nominate seven bloggers who you feel deserve the award.
My answer’s to Jillian’s questions:
1. What’s the funniest thing that has happened to you lately? On a skiing trip to Whistler/Blackcomb this weekend, I ended up on a blue trail that was full of icy moguls. I normally freak out when I see moguls due to some bad skiing incidents back when I was a clueless teenager, so I decided to take off my skis and walk down. Bad move. I’m apparently a clueless grownup. I basically cannonballed down the trail on my bottom, shrieking like Lucille Ball. I somehow stopped. Which was nice, because I really didn’t want to fall down that embankment and slam into the trees.
2. Is there something you’re putting off doing that you could start today? Fully unpacking from our move a year and a half ago.
3. If the average human life span was 50 years, how would you live your life differently? OR If you had five more years to live, how would you live your life differently? I don’t get much time in either scenario! I would travel more and see my family on the East Coast more.
4. If you had to move to a new state or country, where would you move and why? I’m going to pick Italy, because I’ve had a great time whenever I’ve visited. I’ve already lived in five states: Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, New York, California and Washington. It’s time to try a new country.
5. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever done on a date? My now-husband and I went looking for animatronic dinosaurs when we were at a party in the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia. (The dinos were on an off-limits floor. Who hides moving dinosaurs from drunken revelers?)
6. What was the last picture you took on your phone? It’s a shot of my five-year-old getting on a ski lift.
7. If you see a dog running around alone by the road, do you stop to help the dog? Honestly, it might depend on whether the dog appeared to know where it was going. If it was in danger of being hit, yes, definitely.
8. Do you have a favorite sports team? My loyalty is with Boston teams, and sometimes Seattle teams. I don’t think I should say any more or I’ll get in trouble with other Boston natives.
9. Would you want to be famous and rich, knowing that you would lose all of your privacy? No.
10. What was your first job? Working at a Dunkin’ Donuts at age 15, wearing a tan dress with orange, pink and brown doughnut trees on it.
Questions for my nominees (and anyone else who wants to post their answers here):
- Pick a pest for your house: Roaches or rats? Why?
Coffee or tea (or neither)?
Do you think Pluto should still have full planet status? Why or why not?
Have you ever written a letter to the editor of a newspaper? If so, what was it about?
What is your favorite book from childhood?
Have you ever taken lessons in a musical instrument? What kind?
Do you speak or have you studied any other languages?
What is your favorite sport to watch (if any)?
What is your favorite sport to play (if any)?
What is your favorite TV show from the past ten years?
My seven nominees:
- Coffee Jitters, Judy Schwartz Haley (http://coffeejitters.net/blog): A breast cancer survivor’s witty, playful take on parenting. And cancer.
Foggy Mommy (http://www.foggymommy.com): A former editor and current freelance writer experiences new motherhood after infertility.
The Jillist (http://thejillist.com): Another blogger named Jill riffs on parenting with crazy, funny lists and zany conversations with Siri.
The Plagued Parent (http://www.theplaguedparent.com): A family deals gracefully with estrangement from a clinically depressed daughter.
Motherhood, WTF? (http://motherhoodwtf.com): She claims she’s “the mom who makes you feel better about your parenting.” Her articles make me feel better about parenting in general. (Yay, I’m not alone.)
Comfytown Chronicles (http://www.comfytownchronicles.com): Joy is funny. Irreverent. All the stuff I like.
Rubber Shoes in Hell (http://www.rubbershoesinhell.com): Michelle had me at “Things You Shouldn’t Wear After 50.”
OK, what are everyone else’s answers? You know you have an opinion on Pluto. Don’t try to hide it. Share it in the comments.